Gynecomastia which is also known as “Man boobs“, it is enlargement of one or both breasts in men and young boys. It affects 40-60% of men and boys during puberty period.
If the breast enlargement didn’t resolve on it’s own or makes you self conscious and have a great impact on your psychological well being, then it’s time to seek surgery
Causes of gynecomastia ?
- Hormonal imbalance between estrogen and testosterone
- Some medications; like peptic ulcer medications (zantac) and other heart medications
- Medications for depression and anxiety
- Anabolic’s and steroids used by body builders
- Marijuana, opioids
Grades of Gynecomastia
- Grade I: Minor enlargement, no skin excess
- Grade II: Moderate enlargement, no skin excess
- Grade III: Moderate enlargement, skin excess
- Grade IV: Marked enlargement, skin excess
Usually it resolves on it’s own without any treatment especially in young boys around the age of puberty.
If it’s because any of the mentioned medication, you may need to switch to another alternative medication and it might be temporary and resolve after you stop.
If your condition does not resolve within 2 years or causing severe embarrassment or pain then you should seek treatment.
- Hormonal Medications (under trials)
- Diet (reduce weight)
surgical methods for gynecomastia varies according to the condition of each patient.
- Vaser Liposuction: Vaser lipo can remove all excess fat. It involves inserting a small tube through a 4-millimeter incision, then the surgeon moves it in a controlled motion to loosen and suction the excess fat, which is then removed from the body by vacuum suction.Vaser or J-plasma used to tighten the skin envelope to avoid sagging. Also the gland is removed with the pull-through technique from the small incisions
- Excision technique: Cutting out tissue with a scalpel, to remove excess glandular tissue (with more scars and higher risk of complications.
- Higher grades of may require skin excision with the fat with subsequent scars around the areola.
FAQ for a Gynecomastia procedure
How long does a Gynecomastia procedure take?
Around 1-2 hours at max. for Vaser liposuction. The patient can be discharged the same day from the hospital
What kind of Anesthesia is used for Gynecomastia procedure?
Local anesthesia or General, depends on the patient’s condition and preference.
Is there any Instructions after the procedure?
You’ll be asked to wear a compression vest for 4-6 weeks after the procedure
Is there any risk in the procedure?
The procedure is very simple yet there’s always a risk in any procedure the commonest is hematoma (a collection of blood under the skin) which should be managed if it happens.