Droopiness of the breast is a common legacy of motherhood, nursing and the force of gravity taking their toll, and the effect of pregnancy and a distension of the breasts with milk causes the fibrous bands which support the breasts in their youthful shape to break down and the skin to stretch.
Breast lift, is an operation to remove extra loose skin from the breasts, and to lift and reshape them, to make them look more youthful.
Why do women perform breast lift?
Over time women’s breasts change losing their youthful shape and firmness, some reasons behind this change is the following:
- Pregnancy: During pregnancy, the ligaments that support the breasts may extend so that the breasts become larger and heavier, which may lead to sagging breasts after pregnancy whether the mother is breastfeeding or not.
- Weight changes: Severe weight changes can cause breast stretches and lose its elasticity.
- Gravity over time, which causes ligaments in the breasts to stretch and sag.
During the surgical procedure
The best type of lift depends on your breast size and the result you want. Different types of lifts make different scars on the breasts. Whichever type of lift you choose, the scars should not be visible.
The doctor makes incisions:
- Around the areola – the dark area around the nipples
- From the areola to the breast crease
- Horizontally along the breast crease
Then extra skin is removed from underneath the breast, the breast is reshaped and the nipples are moved to a higher level. The size of the areola can also be reduced.
The surgery usually ranges from 2 to 3 hours and the patient returns home on the same day.